University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

J-1 Students

J-1 status is used by many different visitors to the U.S. At U of I J-1 status is most often used by visiting and exchange students and by international scholars. J-1 status is a non-immigrant classification, which means that you must demonstrate to the U.S. government that you do not intend to reside in the U.S. on a permanent basis. You must also demonstrate sufficient proficiency in the English language. Form DS-2019 provides evidence of eligibility for J-1 status.

Applications to change to J-1 status may be filed by individuals who are residing in the U.S. in a qualifying non-immigrant status. All other students must apply for a visa stamp abroad.

If you would like to change to J-1 status in the U.S., contact International Services to discuss the options at least six months before the planned start date of your program.

International Programs Office

Physical Address:
901 Paradise Creek St.
LLC Bldg. #3
Moscow, ID 83844

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive
MS 1250
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

Phone: 208-885-8984

Fax: 208-885-2859


Phone: 208-885-7870

Fax: 208-885-2859