University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

J-1 Non-Degree Students

This J-1 category is used by University of Idaho to sponsor international students who have been admitted to a non-degree academic program with a specific educational objective.


  • Admitted to a University of Idaho's academic study or research program for a course of study.
  • 51% or more of funding must be from non-personal funds (non-personal source could be a home institution, employer, national or local government grant, scholarship or fellowship)
    • 51% rule waived for direct exchange students with a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) from foreign university. Student must be nominated by their home institution to be considered. Once nominated, they receive instructions on how to apply as a Non-Degree exchange student.
  • Be currently enrolled and pursuing an undergraduate or graduate program at an accredited post-secondary academic institution outside the United States.
  • Have sufficient English language skills to function on a day‐to‐day basis in the program.
  • Be engaged in a full-time course of study including classroom and/or research.
  • Site of activity is University of Idaho
  • Maintain health insurance for self and J-2 dependents for the duration of the program.

  1. The International Programs Office or the sponsor department invites the Student Non-Degree and submits request to University of Idaho via Slate.
  2. The International Programs Office issues the Form DS-2019 and sent it electronically to the J-1 Student Non-Degree.
  3. The J-1 Student Non-Degree applies for a visa at a U.S. embassy/consulate.
    • J-1 Student Non-Degree pays the I-901 SEVIS fee online before visa appointment
    • J-1 Student Non-Degree schedules a visa appointment (except Canadian citizens) with the U.S. embassy or consulate

  • A minimum stay of eight weeks is required.
  • A maximum stay of two years, inclusive of any period of Academic Training, is allowed.

J-1 Student Non-Degree should:

  1. Check in with the International Programs Office upon arrival.
  2. Complete the online Immigration Check-in (F-1/J-1) eform in iVandal.
  3. Attend mandatory Orientation.

J-1 non-degree students must engage in a full-time course of study in a non-degree academic program with a specific educational objective as research projects and classroom instruction. For example, if you are studying accounting in your home country, you should take courses in the accounting program here at University of Idaho and transfer your credits to your home university so you can use them toward your degree.

International Programs Office

Physical Address:
901 Paradise Creek St.
LLC Bldg. #3
Moscow, ID 83844

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive
MS 1250
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

Phone: 208-885-8984

Fax: 208-885-2859


Phone: 208-885-7870

Fax: 208-885-2859