University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to SlateConnect.

Eligibility Requirements

To qualify for federal student aid you have to make certain requirements are met:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen of the United States
  • Have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau)
  • Have a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a degree-seeking student in an eligible program
  • Be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for Direct Loan funds (6 credits per semester for undergraduates, 5 credits per semester for law or graduate students). Most state aid programs and university scholarships require full-time enrollment (12 credits per semester for undergraduates, 9 for graduate students and 10 credits for law students). Pell Grants may be awarded to qualifying students who attend less than half-time (1-5 credits).
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the university
  • Be in good standing on all unpaid student loans with unpaid balances and must not owe a repayment for any federal grant program.

Who can receive financial aid?

Undergraduate Students

Students working on their first bachelor's degree are eligible to apply for all financial aid administered by Student Financial Aid Services.

Second Undergraduates

Students who have already received a bachelor's degree and who are not yet admitted to graduate school are considered to be second undergraduates for federal aid programs. These students are not eligible for federal grant programs (Pell or SEOG) and are restricted to undergraduate borrowing limits in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan program.

Graduate and Law Students

Students who are admitted or enrolled in a graduate or law program are eligible to apply for federal loans. They must be enrolled at least half-time in order to borrow through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan or the PLUS Loan programs.

Non-degree (non-matriculated or unclassified students)

Students not enrolled in a degree program may not receive any form of federal financial aid.

Students in Correspondence Courses (or Independent Study)

Students involved with independent study through the University of Idaho may not receive any form of federal financial aid.

Do you have questions?

We have a knowledgeable staff ready to help you through the financial aid process.

Get Answers

What types of aid are available?

From scholarships to loans we can tell you how to apply, keep and use each.

Types of Aid

Student Financial Aid Services

Physical Address:

Bruce M. Pitman Center
Room 101

709 Deakin Avenue
Moscow, ID 83844

Mailing Address:
Student Financial Aid Office
875 Perimeter Dr
MS 4291
Moscow, ID 83844-4291

Phone: 208-885-6312

Fax: 208-885-5592