University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

35.35 - Public Use and Liabilities


  • Position: Environmental Health and Safety Director
  • Email:

Last updated: March 17, 2015

A. General.

A-1. Preface. The University of Idaho ("University") encourages and welcomes the use of University facilities by the public and by organizations if used in an appropriate, safe, and responsible manner. While the University is a public institution, not all of its facilities are open to the public. The University has established this policy to allow the use of University facilities by the public while minimizing the risks and liabilities to the University and protecting University facilities from damage, vandalism, and abuse (see also Facilities Scheduling Policy Committee FSH 1640.40). [rev. 10-11]

A-2. University Facilities. University facilities include the buildings, structures, grounds, lawns, sports fields, golf course, sidewalks, and farm areas, and all improvements contained within the property boundaries of the University. [ed. 10-11]

B. Correcting or Reporting Unsafe Conditions. Any University employee that observes a situation that exposes any person to an unsafe condition must immediately report the unsafe condition to his or her supervisor. The public is encouraged to report any unsafe condition to the Environmental Health and Safety Office ("EHS") at (208) 885-­6524 or safety email, Facilities at (208) 885-6246 or facilities email, or, after normal business hours, Campus Security at (208) 885-7054. [ed. 7-10, 10-11, 1-14]

C. Accident Assistance and Reporting. Any University employee that observes an accident that involves bodily injury or creates a hazardous situation should immediately call the appropriate local emergency response number. The accident must then be reported to the Risk Management Office, (208) 885-7177 or risk email, or after normal business hours, Campus Security at (208) 885-7054, so that the circumstances of the accident can be documented and any necessary corrective action can be identified and taken. [rev. 10-11, 1-14]

D. Use of University Facilities.

D-1. Facility and Space Reservations. To schedule the use of any University facility, the approved venue locations, contact information, costs and other information can be found at the Facility and Space Reservations website at Facility and Space Reservations. [rev. 10-11]

D-2. Considerations of Use. Persons responsible for organizing and conducting events in University facilities are expected to address the following as part of the planning process:, a) Facility Use Agreement for use of space, (b) insurance; (c) developing and implementing procedures for reporting accidents and summoning aid; (d) security arrangements; (e) traffic control; (f) food services; and (g) sanitation requirements. At a minimum, Risk Management, Facilities, University Support Services, and Parking and Transportation Services ("PTS") are involved in approval process. (See Facility and Space Reservations website for more information at Facility and Space Reservations. [rev. 10-11]

E. Restricted Areas. The public is not permitted in restricted areas on University property except with the permission of the appropriate University administrator. Restricted areas include, but are not limited to, non-public areas such as offices, classrooms, laboratories, shops, workplaces, roofs, mechanical spaces, construction areas, University operated residences and residential areas, swimming pools, weight rooms and athletic facilities, shooting ranges, animal facilities, various landscape areas and recreation fields, crop land, and forest lands. [rev. 10-11]

F. Individual or Non-Sponsored Recreational Activities. Individuals conducting recreational activities on University property are responsible and liable for their actions and for any damages caused. Any organized event must be approved by the venue administrator. Approved events take precedence over any unscheduled activities. Any violation of this policy should be reported to Campus Security at (208) 885-7054. [rev. 10-11, 1-14]

F-1. Types of Recreational Activities. Many recreational activities such as kite flying, cross-country skiing, group sports activities, and Frisbee/disc golf activities are permitted only in certain areas. Other activities are banned completely, or restricted to supervised classes only, because of safety and damage concerns. See list below for further clarification.  Sports fields may be used if scheduled with the Athletic Department or Campus Recreation. Recreational and group activities using other campus green spaces must be approved by Facilities. [rev. 10-11, 3-15]

F-2. Sledding, Snowboarding and Skiing. There are no areas on campus for downhill sledding, snowboarding, or skiing at this time. Please use Moscow City Parks or other appropriate areas for downhill sledding, skiing, and snowboarding.

F-3. Climbing and Rappelling Activities. Climbing or rappelling activities are not allowed, except for the Climbing Walls at the Student Recreation Center and Memorial Gym.

F-4. Frisbee/Disc Golf Activities. The University has constructed a disc golf course on campus. Information and maps of this golf course can be obtained from Campus Recreation campus recreation. Individuals using the disc golf course, are responsible and liable for their actions, for any injuries to other persons, and for any property damage resulting from their activity. Disc play outside the disc golf course is not permitted. Other Frisbee team sports and catch are allowed only on the Theophilus Tower lawn, Wicks/Intramural fields, East Practice Field, North field, and Band field.  Individuals are not permitted to climb onto buildings or roofs to retrieve their frisbees/discs or other items. Requests to retrieve all items should be made to Facilities at (208) 885-6246 or facilities email. [rev. 10-11]

F-5. Recreational Fires. [See APM 35.25] Recreational fires on University property must be a) approved by the EHS Office, (208) 885-6524, b) approved, and a permit issued, by the Moscow Fire Department, (208) 882-2831, and c) approved by Facilities, (208) 885-6246. These fires are strictly limited in scope and used for University-sanctioned events only. No personal campfires or cooking fires are allowed on campus. [rev. 10-11]

F-6. Driving on Campus Green Space. Driving any vehicle (cars, trucks, bikes, ATV’s, motorcycles, etc.) on campus green spaces for an event without prior permission from Facilities is not allowed. Protection of green space from rutting, tearing, and damage is critical. Proper use of protective materials is required before vehicles may be driven/parked on green space areas. Contact Facilities Landscape Department (208) 885-6734 or landscape email for assistance. [Note: Non-event driving on University green space by anyone other than authorized service or emergency vehicles is prohibited at all times, and citations will be issued by the Moscow Police Department ("MPD") for these violations.] [ed. 10-11]

F-7. Tight Rope or Slack Line walking, tree climbing, and related activities. Slack Line or Tight Rope walking and related activities are not permitted on campus. Campus property, including but not limited to trees & buildings, are not to be used for the purpose of anchors or poles to support cables and tightening devices being used for recreational activities or classes that include free climbing; tight rope walking; aerial cable slides or glides, or any other related activity. [add. 4-07, ed. 10-11]

Climbing trees for University sponsored class work leading to a professional degree, such as an arboricultural class, is permitted during class sessions through special arrangements with the Facilities – Landscape Division. Only the Campus Horticulturist; the Campus Arborist; the Campus Landscape Superintendent; and the Landscape & Exteriors Services Director can authorize a particular tree or group of trees to be used for a University outdoor classroom event. Permission must be gained for such an event at least two (2) weeks prior to the event. [add. 4-07, ed. 10-11]

Trees selected by Landscape Staff will be reviewed against the type of event that is being planned, the number of people involved, and the expected negative impacts to the trees and landscape. Once these parameters have been determined, trees that will meet these needs with minimal damage will be assessed and visually checked for health; vigor; load capacity; and possible branch and root issues. Trees selected for the event are based upon the trees' ability to withstand and support the proposed event, not where the event coordinator would like to locate that event. [add. 4-07, ed. 10-11]

Trees that will not be allowed for this type of activity are iconic trees within the University landscape; unique specimen, species, or cultivars of trees on campus; historically or culturally significant campus trees; or campus trees that have received Memorial or Recognition status and have plaques by them. For example Camperdown Elms or any trees within the Administration Lawn would not be suitable candidates for an authorized outdoor classroom event. [add. 4-07, ed. 10-11]

For permission and/or any further questions, please contact Facilities at (208) 885-6246 or email us at landscape email. [add. 4-07, ed. 10-11]

G. Bicycling, Skateboarding, and Rollerblading.

G-1. Bicycling. The closed walkway systems and pedestrian areas on campus are considered sidewalks for the purposes of bicycle safety and enforcement. [ed. 10-11, 1-14]

a. Bicycles may not be brought into University general education buildings. Violations of this policy should be reported to the EHS Office, (208) 885-6524. [add. 10-11]

b. Bicycle parking is provided throughout the University campus and bicycles may only be parked in accordance with APM 40.32, A-6. [rev. 10-11, 1-14]

c. Abandoned and disabled bicycles are handled in accordance with APM 40.32, A-6. [rev. 10-11, 1-14]

d. More information on the University’s bicycle rules and regulations is available on the Parking and Transportation Services website:,-d-,bicycles. [rev. 1-14]

G-2. Skateboarding and Roller Blading. [ed. 7-10]

a. University facilities are not open to skateboarders or rollerbladers other than currently enrolled University students or University employees. University students and employees wishing to use their skateboards or rollerblades as transportation around campus may do so on any walkway wider than eight (8) feet. Safety and congestion problems occur when using walkways that are eight (8) feet or less. [rev. & ren. 10-11]

b. Skateboarding or rollerblading in a manner that may cause injury to self or others is not permitted on University property. [ren. 10-11]

c. Skateboarders and rollerbladers must yield to pedestrians at all times. [ren. 10-11]

d. Recreational skateboarding or roller blading where jumps, tricks, or other maneuvers are performed is not allowed anywhere on the University campus. Please use Moscow Skate Park for these types of activities. The University campus is considered “off limits” for all recreational skateboarding. [rev. & ren. 10-11]

e. Waxing, grinding, permanent or semi-permanent surface markings, or damage to University property not applied by authorized University representatives is prohibited in all areas. University considers such activity to be defacing/vandalizing state property and will have MPD issue citations as needed. [rev. & ren. 10-11]

f. The University will pursue restitution for expenses for the cleanup, repair or replacement of any damage caused by persons who are skateboarding or rollerblading.

g. The University supports citing for trespass, as the police officer deems appropriate and applicable, any individual found skateboarding or rollerblading in violation of University policy. [rev. 10-11]

h. The University assumes no liability for injury caused by skateboarders or rollerbladers. Persons who skateboard or rollerblade on University property, or their parents in the case of minors, are solely and totally responsible for any injuries to self and others that result from their skateboarding or rollerblading activities. [rev. 10-11]

H. Weapons and Explosives.

H-1.  Weapons.  See APM 95.12. [rev. 7-14, rev. 1-15]

H-2. Explosives.

a. Explosives include but are not limited to any chemical compound, mixture, or device, the primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion. The term includes, but is not limited to, dynamite and other high explosives, black powder, pellet powder, initiating explosives, detonators, safety fuses, squibs, detonating cord, igniter cord, and igniters.

b. Except in the case of law enforcement officers engaged in official duties, explosive substances are prohibited on university premises unless the Executive Director of the Office of Public Safety and Security (OPSS) approves their use. [ed. 1-14]

H-3. Violations of the Weapons and Explosives Policy. Anyone who has concerns about possible violations of this policy should notify the Executive Director of OPSS at (208) 885-7209. [ed. 1-14]

a. Employees who violate this policy are subject to disciplinary action, up to and including dismissal.

b. Students who violate this policy are subject to disciplinary action, up to an including expulsion, as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct.

I. Aircraft Use and Parachute Jumps.

I-1. Aircraft Use. The landing or use of aircraft (helicopters, ultra lights, hang gliders, unmanned aircraft systems, etc.) on University property is prohibited except as approved by the Executive Director of OPSS. See APM 95.35[ed. 10-11, 1-14, rev. 3-15]

I-2. Parachute Jumps. Parachute jumps, including skydiving, onto University property are prohibited. [ed. 10-11]

J. Dogs and Other Animals. See APM 95.16, Animals on Campus. [1-15]

K. Overnight Camping on Campus. Overnight camping on the University campus is prohibited, unless authorized by Parking and Transportation Services (PTS), Facilities or its designee for a University sponsored event. This privilege is extended only to persons attending University sponsored activities (e.g., athletic events, short courses, Family Weekend, and/or Homecoming, etc.) and granted only for self-contained recreational vehicles ("RVs"). Unauthorized camping is considered a trespass on University property and is enforceable by the MPD. The following guidelines explain allowable and unallowable procedures for overnight RV camping on University property. [rev. 10-11, ed. 1-14]

K-1. Designated Camping Areas. Authorized RV overnight camping is only allowed in parking lot 110 (west of the Kibbie-ASUI Activity Center, north of the all-weather track and lot 57). Prior authorization from PTS is required. [rev. 10-11]

K-2. Open Fires Prohibited. Open fires are strictly prohibited. [ren. 10-11]

K-3. Camping Trash Collection. Trash and/or debris disposal should be made only in the designated trash receptacles for the sponsored events. [ren. 10-11]

K-4. Information. For additional information or questions regarding overnight RV camping on University property, please contact Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) at (208) 885-6424. [rev. & ren. 10-11, ed. 1-14]

Version History

Campus Locations

Physical Address:
Bruce M. Pitman Center
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4264
Moscow, ID 83844-4264

Phone: 208-885-6111

Fax: 208-885-9119