University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to SlateConnect.

Animal Care and Use FAQs


If you login to the VERAS system ( and go to My Studies you should see a list all your protocol.

The student/personnel will need to log into VERAS, if they do not already have an account, where they will be prompted to create an account. Once the account is created then you will be able to locate them in the system.

Please note: If the personnel are not affiliated with the University, they should be added to the External Personnel section and should not need to create an account.

Yes, personnel other than the PI can fill out forms for protocols they are connected to. However, the PI will need to complete a final Signoff and Submit before it is submitted to the IACUC.

Follow the steps below

  1. You will login and under My Studies select the protocol you are working with 20XX-XX.
  2. Under Submissions the third section down on the left side select  image
  3. To start a new form, click then the image right side.
  4. Fill out the form
  5. Select image then sign off. 

You will login and under My Studies select the protocol you are working with 20XX-XX.

  1. Under Submissions the third section down on the left side is
  2. image

  3. Select the Annual renewal form
  4. To start a new form, click the imageon the right side.
  5. In the new annual renewal form just select
  6. image

  7. At the bottom of the form please fill out how many of the approved animal numbers requested were used.
  8. image

  9. Select image then sign off

Follow the steps below

  1. Login to,
  2. Go to the image in the right top corner.
  3. Under IACUC Submissions is a list of collaboration agreements you can download. You would select the “Collaboration Agreement – Institutional”.
  4. Once the agreement is filed out to the best of your ability, email it to and we will work on getting it signed.
  5. When the agreement is completed, download the final form as an “Other Study Documents” under your protocol in the system.

If the IACUC Admin has already started processing the submission you will need to call or email the IACUC and ask them to release the submission so you can make changes. If the IACUC has not started processing the submission follow the steps below:

  1. Login to
  2. Click on “My Studies” under Study Assistant
  3. Select the Protocol you want to edit “20XX-XX”
  4. Select “Retract Submission” under Outstanding Submission, Process Submission



Your instructor and teaching assistants have been trained in the procedures you will be conducting during your course laboratories. All procedures have been reviewed and approved by the University of Idaho Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). As a student enrolled in a course that uses animals, you should be aware of the animal welfare regulations governing the use of animals in your class. However, as a student, you are not required to take the Animal Care and Use training unless required by your instructor. You are welcome to voluntarily complete the course at no cost to you, following the instructions here.

The IACUC Coordinator or the Campus Veterinarian are available to answer questions regarding animal care and use at the University of Idaho, procedures related to securing and maintaining approval for the use of animals, animal care issues, and any other questions you may have regarding the animal care and use program. Contact the IACUC Coordinator (208-885-7252 or or the Campus Veterinarian (208-885-8958 or with any questions.

Notification of contract services for animal use is needed when using contract animal services with outside organizations, such as for antibody production.

All contract services in which live animals are used to produce the desired service endpoint and are funded by federal agencies must be through companies with a valid PHS Animal Welfare Assurance. You must notify the IACUC of your intent to use these services. Be sure to include both the funding agency for your project and the contractor you intend to use. Notify the IACUC.

IACUC is using the VERAS electronic system for protocol submissions, amendments, adverse events and protocol deviations. Contact the IACUC office at or 208-885-7252 with questions or comments.

You are required to maintain appropriate medical and procedural records for three years after the last time an animal was used on a protocol, or after the life of an animal, whichever is later.

Minimum training is available via an online training system. Full instructions are available on our Training page. Hands-on training sessions are provided according to the needs of individual protocols.

For nonemergency requests to have a veterinarian examine your research animals, email

For emergencies, contact the Campus Veterinarian at 208-885-8958.

By law, the attending veterinarian must approve the use, frequency, dosage and route of administration for all drugs used on research animals. Please directly contact the Campus Veterinarian at or 208-885-8958 for more information on processes to follow.

Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)

Physical Address:

Morrill Hall Room 414
Moscow, ID  83844

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Dr., MS 3010
Moscow, ID  83844-3010

Phone: 208-885-7252


Web: ORA Website