University of Idaho - I Banner
A student works at a computer


U of I's web-based retention and advising tool provides an efficient way to guide and support students on their road to graduation. Login to VandalStar.

Current International Student Tax Information

As an international student or scholar in the U.S., it's important that you understand the tax requirement of your visa. You're legally required to file a tax return, if you worked in the U.S. or received a stipend, grant or allowance.

Even if you didn't work or receive income in the U.S., you're still legally obliged to file Form 8843 with the IRS.

University of Idaho has arranged free access to Sprintax to guide you through the process, prepare the necessary tax documents and even check if you're due a refund.

Sprintax was used by over 125,000 international students and scholars last year, and the average federal refund received (by those eligible) was over $1,100.

All you need to do is:

  1. Look for an email from
  2. Register and follow the simple instructions
  3. Complete the online questionnaire
  4. Enter your unique code provided in the email
  5. Sprintax will prepare your tax return

You must print, sign and mail your documents once you complete the preparation process in the Sprintax software.

Please Note: The International Programs Office (IPO) and U of I are NOT permitted to assist any student/scholar with any IRS tax form preparation or tax related questions. The information provided is intended for your benefit. If you have any questions, please use the live chat function in Sprintax and the teams will be happy to help. You also have access to Sprintax YouTube Videos.

*If you did not receive tax information from, send an email to this address and request Sprintax information.

International Programs Office

Physical Address:
901 Paradise Creek St.
LLC Bldg. #3
Moscow, ID 83844

Mailing Address:
875 Perimeter Drive
MS 1250
Moscow, ID 83844-1250

Phone: 208-885-8984

Fax: 208-885-2859


Phone: 208-885-7870

Fax: 208-885-2859